Did you know that the best way to get people to bond with your brand is to make them feel something? Did you know that the best way for a brand to make their customers feels something is to tell them a story?
Well, it seems that all the big brands already got this memo – storytelling is the new black. Except, when you think about it, it’s not that new. The concept of storytelling dates back to ancient times. Heck, I’m inclined to say that it predates languages and speech.
Ever since man existed, he tried to relay a message, one way or another. Cavemen used drawings and simple sounds and we, today, use videos.
Using storytelling to generate trust toward a brand
With the expansion of social media and content marketing, using storytelling in your marketing strategy has simply become a must. Generating content for the sake of content might get you somewhere in terms of SEO, but it won’t do much for connecting with your target audience. On the other hand, creating content with a wider purpose and putting a nice bright storytelling ribbon on it will definitely help you.
It has been said and proven time and again that we tend to remember something better when the story we were told managed to generate some kind of emotion.
In her Forbes article, Susan Gunelius explains that personality needs to shine through when you’re telling your brand story.
Brand stories are not marketing materials. They are not ads, and they are not sales pitches. Brand stories should be told with the brand persona and the writer’s personality at center stage. Boring stories won’t attract and retain readers, but stories brimming with personality can.
Using a video to tell a brand story
Here are the simple reasons videos are a great choice for telling a story.
- Videos have the amazing ability to stir up emotions in the viewer. If made well, they suck us in and not only hold our attention, but also keep us entertained.
- Every single person wants to hear and learn something new every single day. We crave knowledge and marketers keep coming up with new ways to educate us while delivering their message. This is where storytelling comes into play and using a video to do it has become imperative.
- Basic human nature dictates thinking in narrative structure – thought and language are connected. So when we’re using a storytelling video to tell our brand story, we are catering to the innate characteristics of all humans.
- And you know what else, stories with great visuals are plain memorable! Think about it. Is it easier to remember a list of facts or events, or a cool video, or gif, or illustration?
If you’re wondering how to create an authentic brand story, you can read more about it over on Kissmetric’s blog.
Best types of video to tell a brand story
In my opinion, all of the following types of videos are in essence explainer videos. Here are three types you can use when telling your brand story.
- Company or About Us Video
This is one of the best ways to introduce your company to your customers. We don’t all want to actually talk to a real live person when we’re buying something, sometimes it’s easier ordering something online. However, we do all want to know that there are actual human beings behind a product.
- How We Work Video
Explaining your company’s structure, or giving a peek behind the scenes of how your product is made, helps humanize your brand and build trust. Additionally, most of us are curious and want to know how and why something ticks.
- Educational Video
Knowledge is power. Giving your audience a chance to learn something new in a fun way is kind of like giving them a special superpower. When we know what others don’t, we feel superior, we feel proud, and we feel good about ourselves. You use this type of video to teach them how to use your product or service. If it isn’t complicated to use, you can give them insight into anything that relates to your product or service.
Are you ready to tell your brand story?